Sadly, traditional deodorants, have so many harmful ingredients in them, it's crazy they allow them for sale in grocery stores. Aluminum being #1, is linked to Alzheimer's. Check out the brand below that my husband has been using since he was sixteen. It's is a 9 out of 10 in developmental and reproductive toxicity scale according to the Think Dirty App. Good thing he applied that directly to his lymph node area every day of his life!! Right?! Yeesh!
I went on the hunt for a better deodorant. My husband and I have tried some "natural" deodorants from the health food store. Unfortunately, they don't seem to last very long.
The recipe below is BY FAR, my favorite homemade deodorant recipe. We adapted it just a tad from HomemadeMommy.net, no Bentonite clay. Homemade Mommy (Lindsay Gremont) does amazing homemade recipes, I have learned a ton from her.
I like that this recipe contains very little baking soda in it, which can be irritating to the skin.
Just a heads up, it is a little bit weird to adapt to spreading this under the arms with your fingers like a lotion instead of rolling it on with a stick. However, once you try it a couple times, you won't care anymore. It's that good!
- 3 Tbsp Shea Butter (I find it on Amazon here)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Find it here)
- 6 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder (I use this brand)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 10 drops of pure essential oil (My favorites are Purification and Patchouli essential oil blend)
- Whip the shea butter and coconut oil in a mixer. I use the dough blades for a slow turn.
- Add your essential oil drops and continue to mix slowly.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the arrowroot powder and baking soda. Combine ingredients together until mixed well.
- Scoop into small jar with a lid. Apply a small amount on each armpit.
* This post may contain affiliate links
Editable & Printable Digital Download
Join our Facebook community where we share lots of all natural recipes, tips and how-to's.